Access VBA training Portsmouth – Course Overview
We provide Access VBA training Portsmouth at your site and tailored to your needs.
Microsoft Access is a Database Management System (DBMS) that you can use to store, query and report on your data.
Using Access ‘out of the box’ can be a powerful tool but to make the most of your investment you will no doubt benefit from making use of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), a programming language which can be used to build your own applications.
Within this Integrated Development Environment (VBA is part of the Microsoft Office suite so no additional software is required) you create ‘macros’ which are step-by-step procedures written in Visual Basic. These procedures can then be run, triggered, by actions through the forms and reports events.
No previous programming experience is required. Our course will introduce you to coding by example and will demonstrate how to use VBA to interact with Access so you can automate and simplify complex tasks with a relatively small amount of code. You will also find having learned VBA within one Microsoft Office application you can apply your knowledge throughout the Office suite.
A good working knowledge of Access allows the delegates to gain the maximum from this course.
As we mention above; no previous programming experience is required.
Access VBA Training is a two-day course.
- Introduction to Programming in Access
- Why Program in Access?
- Understanding the Development Environment
- Using Visual Basic Help
Working with Procedures and Functions
- Understanding Modules
- Creating a Standard Module
- Understanding Procedures
- Creating a Sub Procedure
- Calling Procedures
- Using the Immediate Window to Call Procedures
- Creating a Function Procedure
- Naming Procedures
- Organizing Code and Procedures
- Working with the Code Editor
- Understanding Classes and Objects
- Navigating the Access Object Hierarchy
- Understanding Collections
- Using the Object Browser
- Working with the Application Object
- Understanding the Form Object
- Working with Properties
- Using the With Statement
- Working with Methods
- Understanding the DoCmd Object
- Working with Events
- Understanding the Order of Events
Using Expressions, Variables, and Intrinsic Functions
- Understanding Expressions and Statements
- Declaring Variables
- Understanding Data Types
- Working with Variable Scope
- Working with Variable Lifetime
- Considering Variable Scope and Lifetime Together
- Using Intrinsic Functions
- Understanding Constants
- Using Intrinsic Constants
- Using Message Boxes
- Using Input Boxes
Controlling Program Execution
- Understanding Control-of-Flow Structures
- Working with Boolean Expressions
- Using the If…End If Decision Structures
- Using the Select Case…End Select Structure
- Using the For…Next Structure
- Using the For Each…Next Structure
- Using the Do…Loop Structure
- Guidelines for use of Branching Structures
Working with Recordsets
- Declaring and Creating Object Variables
- Working with the DAO Recordset Object
- Understanding Errors
- Using Debugging Tools
- Setting Breakpoints
- Setting Break Expressions
- Using Break Mode during Run Mode
- Stepping through Code
- Determining the Value of Expressions
- Understanding Error Handling
- Understanding VBA’s Error Trapping Options
- Trapping Errors with the On Error Statement
- Understanding the Err Object
- Writing an Error-Handling Routine
- Working with Inline Error Handling
We offer Access VBA training Portsmouth and in other towns in Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire and Somerset.
To request further details of any of our courses, or to make a booking, please contact us by ringing 07477 578417 or by sending an email to [email protected] or filling in our contact form.