How do I shade alternate rows in my Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to improve legibility so that the formatting remains consistent when I insert or delete rows?
- Highlight the range of cells or rows or columns that you want to format.
- Click Format – Conditional Formatting to display the Conditional Formatting dialog box.
- Click Formula Is from the first drop-down list box.
- Enter =MOD(ROW(),2)=0 in the second box.
- Click the Format button to bring up the Format Cells dialog box.
- Select the Patterns tab and specify a colour for the shaded rows. You’ll probably want to choose a light colour, so that the default black text will still be legible.
- Click OK twice to return to your worksheet.
Find out more about our Microsoft Excel training in Wiltshire, Dorset and Hampshire.